Friday, March 30, 2007

The Start....

Here is my 1954 Austin Healey in "as purchased" condition. Car/ chassis no. BN1 - L/151633, Body no. 1664. I think this car was one of the first 1000 built. It is a 3 speed with a Laycock de Normanville overdrive on 2nd and 3rd speeds. Originally shipped to a dealer in the USA, although I'm not sure where and it isn't noted on the Heritage Trust certificate. It came painted black with off-white trim and I believe a black hood, again not noted. I bought this car from Len Drake of Kelowna, BC in 2004. Len had been holding on to this early aluminum version for himself. Luckily I was able to talk him into selling it. He had begun to restore it in the early 1990's. But at some point that job stalled and it had been sitting in the back of Len's garage for the better part of 14 years. The frame and bulkheads were in good condition with no rust to speak of. The shrouds were in OK condition, although they both suffered from metal fatigue in a few places and required some skilled metal-work to make them nice again. The original fenders were good, but required the bottoms replaced as did the outer door skins. I was told the engine was good and had good compression 14 years ago. All the wiring, gauges, seats and miscellaneous bits came in assorted boxes. There was no roof or top frame.